[R] Controlling text and strip arrangement in xyplot

Juan Pablo Lewinger lewinger at usc.edu
Tue Jun 19 09:35:06 CEST 2007

I've searched the archives and read the xyplot help but can't figure
out the 2 lattice questions below?

Consider:

library(lattice)
DF <- data.frame(x=rnorm(20), y=rnorm(20), g1=rep(letters[1:2], 10),
                  g2=rep(LETTERS[1:2], each=10),
g3=rep(rep(letters[3:4],each=5),2))

xyplot(y ~ x | g1 + g2, groups=g3, data=DF)

1) Is there a way to get one strip per row and column of panels as
below instead of the default?

        _|__a__|__b__|

2) How do I control the text of the strips so that for instance
instead of "a" and "b" it reads"g1=alpha", "g1=beta" where "alpha"
and "beta" stand for the corresponding greek symbols? (my difficulty
here is not with the plotmath symbols but with controlling the text
of the strips directly from the call to xyplot and not by renaming
the levels of g1)

I'd appreciate any help!

Juan Pablo Lewinger
Department of Preventive Medicine