[R] Could not find lmer function in {Matrix} package

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 20 09:45:04 CEST 2007

    SB> I am having trouble calling the lmer function in the {Matrix}

    SB> package.  I first installed and loaded {Matrix} as follows:

    >> install.packages("Matrix")
    >> library(Matrix)

    SB> The package loaded successfully, however when I attempted to call
    SB> lmer, I received the following message:

    SB> Error: could not find function "lmer"

    SB> I also tried:

    SB> < ?lmer

    SB> which produced no search results.

And who told you  lmer() was in the Matrix package ?
It's in the lme4 package, and --- conceptually has always been there --
Only for some maintenance convenience (C code shared between
lme4 and Matrix) reasons, lmer() has actually been in the Matrix
package for some time in the past,
however you were always supposed to say

    require(lme4)  or  library(lme4)

to get to lmer.