[R] compiler cannot create executables

Robert Dunne rob.dunne at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 14:25:07 CEST 2007

Hi List,

I get an error message "compiler cannot create executables" when I try
to install a package.

Searching the list archives reveals many messages with the same error
message. The advice is generally to install g++ and development libraries.

However, I have g++ installed and can compile and run programs as myself
and via sudo. I got the library to install by using

%sudo R CMD INSTALL --no-configure e1071_1.5-16.tar.gz

can anyone explain this? Also where is the config.log that I should look
in (see output below)? Isn't that in a tmp directory that is removed
when the install fails?

%  sudo R CMD INSTALL e1071_1.5-16.tar.gz
Password:
* Installing *source* package 'e1071' ...
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure: error:
C++ compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

R 2.3.1 on kubuntu  breezy (5.10 I think)

Bye
Rob