[R] Linear Mixed Models with nlme, more than one random effect

joris.dewolf at cropdesign.com joris.dewolf at cropdesign.com
Wed Jun 20 15:17:42 CEST 2007

Guilio,

Have a look at Rnew volume 5/1 (http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/) where
Doug Bates explains this nicely. Condider using lme4 for your purpose.

Joris

             "Giulio Di
             Giovanni"
             <perimessaggini at h                                          To
             otmail.com>               r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
             r-help-bounces at st
             at.math.ethz.ch                                       Subject
                                       [R] Linear Mixed Models with nlme,
                                       more than one random effect
             20/06/2007 14:09

Hi, I' trying to learn how to use lme for Linear Mixed Models  and I have a

problem when I have to include more than one random effect in my model. I
know that this could be a stupid question to ask, but I'm not able to solve

it by myself... One example: if my model is

response = operator + block + day
with operator and block as fixed effects and day as random effect, I use

res.lme <- lme(resp ~ oper + block , random=~1|day)

If I want to include also another random effect, as "experiment", what I
should do ?
This effect doesn't have to be nested, at the and I would like to have the
COV matrix using (if I'm not wrong) getVarCov function.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, I'm a beginner on this
field...

Davide