[R] meta-analysis in R

Bernd Weiss bernd.weiss at uni-koeln.de
Thu Jun 21 15:47:19 CEST 2007

On 21 Jun 2007 at 12:09, Irene Mantzouni wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:09:31 +0200
From:           	"Irene Mantzouni" <ima at difres.dk>
To:             	<r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
Subject:        	[R] meta-analysis in R

> I would like to combine time-series data to test for correlations
> and
> interactions using random and fixed effects meta-analysis.
>
> So, I am looking for the right packages and documentation.
>
> I know about meta and rmeta packages of R.
>
> Are there any more? What are the diffrences in brief?

Yes, there are some more packages for meta-analysis.
help.search("meta-analysis") will answer your question.

Additionally, one should also mention the MiMa function, see below.

Most of the packages use a method of moments estimator; MiMa offers a
wider range of estimation methods, e.g. ML or REML (see the MiMa
documentation for more information).

> Can you please suggest some references that could be used as a guide
> for
> meta-analysis in R (or S-plus)?

I know at least two references:

There is a chapter on meta-analysis in Everitt, Brian, und Torsten
Hothorn, 2006: A handbook of statistical analyses using R. Boca
Raton: Chapman & Hall/CRC. (see also <http://cran.r-
project.org/doc/vignettes/HSAUR/Ch_meta_analysis.pdf>)

See also my reply to Lucia Costanzo and my suggestion to use the
MiMa-package
<http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/07/06/19418.html>.

HTH,

Bernd