[R] MDS size limitations

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 21 16:51:34 CEST 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Steve Antos wrote:

> What are the limitations on size of matrix for MDS functions?

MDS works with a dissimilarity, not a matrix (neither conceptually nor in
most R implementations, which typically use an object of class "dist").
It is better to think in terms of the number of objects 'n' and the number
of dimensions of the representation (which I guess you mean as 2).

There are O(n^2) dissimilarities to be considered, and most of the
algorithms appear to be slightly superlinear in that number. n=1000 runs
in isoMDS in about a minute on my laptop, using about 75Mb of memory, and
about 10 secs in sammon or cmdscale.  (Highly non-Euclidean
dissimilarities are likely to be slower.)

Even 1000 objects is a lot to be considering for what is primarily a
visualization technique.

Cruder forms of MDS such as Kohonen mapping are able to handle much larger
datasets (but reveal less about them).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk