[R] Multinomial models

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 08:00:53 CEST 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, nicole baerg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am VERY new to R (one week) and I am trying to run a multinomial logit model.
> The model I am using is
>
>> model1 <- multinom(Y ~ X1 + X2 + , ..., Xn)
>
> if I put in
>
>> summary(model1)
>
> I get
>
> #Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
>        unable to find an inherited method for function "fitted", for
> signature "multinom"

You have some other package attached (you are using 'nnet' without mention
or credit) that has broken summary() (the correct summary method does not
use fitted()).  The R posting guide asks for the output of sessionInfo(),
and that would have helped us here. All I can tell is that the culprit is
an S4-using package.

Try again with only the smallest possible set of packages attached.

> and if I put in
>
>> coef(model1)
>
> I get the coefficients. I would like, however, to get the
> coefficients, estimates, Std Erros and t-Ratios and/or z or P>[z]
>
> Also can you change the speficiation of the base category without recoding?

?contr.treatment
?relevel