[R] problem building first package

Richard Chandler rchandler at forwild.umass.edu
Mon Jun 25 18:12:01 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am trying to build a package from source for the first time. I'm
using Windows XP. After R CMD INSTALL or R CMD check I get an error
message that I don't understand. I've tried to follow the instrucions
provided in the R Installation and Administration .pdf and the text
file that comes with Rtools, but most of this is new to me and clearly
I'm missing something. Here's what I've done:

-Downloaded perl and Rtools and put them in my c directory
-Used package.skeleton() to set up the package structure and put the
package-to-be "removal" in C:\toBuild
-I edited my path to :
C:\Rtools\bin;C:\perl\bin;C:\Rtools\MinGW\bin;C:\R-2.5.0\bin;...
-I changed the following in the MkRules file:
1)HEADER=C:/Rtools/MinGW/include
2)HELPTYPES = -txt
3)WINHELP = NO
4)HEADER=C:/Rtools/MinGW/include
5)R_EXE=C:/R-2.5.0/bin/R.exe
-Next, I opened up a command prompt and went to c:/toBuild
-Then I ran: R CMD build removal. No problems.
-Then I ran: R CMD INSTALL removal_1.0.tar.gz
and got this:
installing to 'c:/R-2.5.0/library'

latex: not found
latex: not found