[R] skeleton for C code?

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 22:00:30 CEST 2007

Dear R experts---I would like to write a replacement for the read.csv
function that is less general, but also more efficient.

could someone please provide me with a skeleton function that shows me
how to read the arguments and return a data frame for a call to a C
function that handles

     returned.data.frame = my.read.csv(file, header = TRUE, sep = ",",
quote="\"", dec=".",
              fill = TRUE, comment.char="", ...)

this may be very difficult, of course, in which case writing such a
function would not be worth it.  I guess I would be happy just to
learn how to return a basic data frame that holds data vectors that
are either strings or numbers---nothing more complex.

help appreciated.

/iaw