[R] Installing an old package in R-2.4.1

vladimir at math.uic.edu vladimir at math.uic.edu
Thu Jun 28 15:42:40 CEST 2007

I am new to R.   We have a binary package that was not maintained for
about a year, and the original maintainer is not around anymore.
The package used to work in R-1.5.1.  I used the following steps
to install this package in R-2.4 on WinXP:

  Started the GUI
  Went into the menu "Packages" and selected "Install packages from
  local zip files
  Clicked on the zip file with the package, and clicked "Open"

R responded with the message "Updating HTML package descriptions".
I can see the package files in the "library" subdirectory of
R installation:

cd "c:/program files/R/R-2.4.1/library"
find . -name 'Rproj' -print
./file72ae2cd6/Rproj
./file72ae2cd6/Rproj/help/Rproj
./file72ae2cd6/Rproj/R/Rproj
./Rproj
./Rproj/help/Rproj
./Rproj/R/Rproj

( Please don't get confused by the UNIX-style paths, I am using cygwin
shell on Windows ).
However when I go to "Packages->Load package" menu, the Rproj
package is not listed there.   How would I find out what went wrong?

Thanks,
	Vlad