[R] align() function missing in R ?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 29 08:50:35 CEST 2007

Hi Markus,

You can't assume that a typical R users knows much about S+.
"R has been beyond S+ for a long time"
   {{ :-) :-) please Insightful staff, don't start to jump at me !}}
Even I, as a very long time S and Splus user (of the past:
1987--~1997), have never, I think, used align().

Can you give *reproducible examples* of what  align() does for you?
Then, kind R users will typically show you simple ways to achieve the
same.

Also: R is Free Software (i.e. open source and more), so
      we'd be happy to accept offers of an align() function that
      behaved compatibly (``or better'') than the S-plus one.
Note however that you'd typically not be allowed to copy the
S-plus implementation.

Martin