[R] Problem installing RGTK2 on ubuntu 7.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jun 30 06:19:50 CEST 2007

On 29 June 2007 at 23:11, Andrew Muller wrote:
| I am trying to install RGTK2 on my Ubuntu 7.04 system. The installation
| fails with a message that RGtk2 requires GTK 2.8. As far as I can tell I
| have GTK+ 2.10.11 installed. Can anyone suggest a way to proceed?

Something is not right in your example below. Do you have the required -dev
packages installed?  For Debian's r-cran-rgtk2 (which you could install from
Ubuntu, albeit in a slightly older version, via 'sudo apt-get install
r-cran-rgtk2'), I use the following Build-Depends:

  libgtk2.0-dev (>= 2.10.12-1), libglade2-dev, libpango1.0-dev, libcairo2-dev

If you have all that installed, it should just work fine (and I do use the
direct-from-CRAN method on my computers at work, and have just upgraded RGtk2
there a few days ago).

| I am using  R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18) on a Ubuntu 7.04 system

FYI there are Ubuntu backports at CRAN. You could get R 2.5.0 without any
effort, and presumably in a few days R 2.5.1 once the porters build the
package as I've put 2.5.1 into Debian.

Hth, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison