[R] R code for "Statistical Models in S" ?

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri Mar 2 01:04:39 CET 2007

On Mar 1, 2007, at 4:36 PM, Robert Duval wrote:

> You might want to start looking at the FAQ's
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/faqs.html
>
> in particular
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#R-and-S

Thanks I must admit that I had not looked at the FAQ's, but I have
now and though it might become relevant a bit down the line, it
doesn't seem to answer my questions, unless I've missed something in
there. The only relevant bit I found was this phrase:

"Apart from lexical scoping and its implications, R follows the S
language definition in the Blue and White Books as much as possible,
and hence really is an “implementation” of S."

The question (one part of it at least) had to do with the data sets
and functions used, and the fact that some of these data sets are not
there in R. In the book they refer to a "data" package for instance,
which seems to contain things different than R's "datasets" package.
So the question was if the necessary data sets are available somewhere.

The second part was in particular about a call to "plot", namely "plot
(solder.balance)", which in S according to the white book is supposed
to produce the graph in the top of page 3, for those having the book,
the caption of the plot being: "A plot of the mean of \textbf{skips}
at each of the levels of the factors in the solder experiment."
I have now found out, thanks to "A handbook of statistical analyses
using R", that the corresponding call in R would be: "plot.design
(solder)".

I understand of course that not every difference between
implementations in S and R should be documented, but I was hoping
that other people who have already gone through this book would have
documented these differences. I guess not, and I will be doing so now.

> robert

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College