[R] Using R for devices trial

Soukup, Mat Mat.Soukup at fda.hhs.gov
Fri Mar 2 14:28:45 CET 2007

Hi Cody,

I would point you to the presentation by Sue Bell at least year's ASA
meeting available here:
http://www.fda.gov/Cder/Offices/Biostatistics/Bell.pdf. I can't speak
for CDRH, but at CDER we are making some progress towards the level of
comfort with the use of R as a "valid" software tool. Specifically,
1. R was granted approval by our IT folks for use on our government PC's
(2 years in the making to get this).
2. An R course is in development for FDA reviewers to use R for review
of clinical trial data.
3. This Monday at the 1st FDA/DIA Spring Meeting I will be offering a
tutorial on Statistical Graphics with R for Clinical Trial Data.
4. An increasing effort to pigeon-tail R to ongoing projects to show
proof by example that R can be trusted when used properly.

So from the regulatory side, progress is being made, but there still do
exist those who have some discomfort with the use of an open-source tool
for data analysis. Someday hopefully that too will be changed.

HTH,

-Mat

Disclaimer: The views expressed are those of the author and must not be
taken to represent policy or guidance on behalf of the Food and Drug
Administration.