[R] Reformulated matrices dimensions limitation problem

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 15:59:35 CET 2007

On 3/2/07, Bruno C. <bruno.c at inwind.it> wrote:
> bigml is for generalized regression model. I need to use lars ans svm.
> Anway I am perfectly able to train my model: my training matrix is not so big.
> The big matrix is the test one then I can split it by rows  into several matrices without affecting the results.
> The point is that I wanted to  split it in an elegant way, mainimizing the needed submatrices wrt memory.
> But I have the impression I am asking R too much :D

Design an experiment.  Start with a small matrix and keep increasing
until it gets too big.  You will want to control for other factors
like what other objects are in memory.

I don't think this is particularly more elegant than splitting the
matrix into pieces that you know will fit into memory.  And will
certainly take much more time.

Hadley