[R] barplot2, gap.barplot

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Fri Mar 2 19:32:57 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 10:07 -0600, hadley wickham wrote:

> > > Of course, you can't do this with a bar plot, because bars should be
> > > anchored at 0.
> >
> > Both barplot() and barplot2() support log scaling for both x and y axes.
> >
> > In both functions, the default axis minimum for the 'height' axis (y by
> > default, x if 'horizontal = TRUE') will be 0.9 * min(height) to avert
> > log10(0) related issues. Errors will be issued otherwise if any values
> > of 'height' are <= 0 or 'ylim'/'xlim' args are similarly set.
>
> I think that's a pretty bad idea - in a bar plot you are comparing the
> ratio of heights of the bars, not the absolute heights.  It's the same
> reason it's a bad idea to have a bar graph with a non-0 y-axis - it's
> misleading.

Hadley,

I might note that even lattice will do this, arguably easier than
barplot[2]():

library(lattice)
x <- 10 ^ (0:10)
barchart(x ~ 0:10, horizontal = FALSE,
         scales = list(y = list(log = 10)))

Is it the right thing to do?  I'll leave that for others to debate. I
have stronger feelings on the 'gapped axis' issue.

I don't tend to use bar plots too much myself any longer and it all
depends upon the audience.

There have been requests for log scales on barplots on the R lists going
back several years, which is one of the reasons that I wrote barplot2()
some years ago.  It was also one of my first exercises in gaining a
lower level understanding of R's graphics models.

The 'log' and 'add' arguments and related code from barplot2() were then
included in R's barplot() in version 2.2.0, I believe by Paul.

HTH,

Marc