[R] dispersion_parameter_GLMM's

Cristina Gomes gomes at eva.mpg.de
Tue Mar 6 10:50:07 CET 2007

Hi all,
I was wondering if somebody could give me advice regarding the
dispersion parameter in GLMM's. I'm a beginner in R and basically in
GLMM's. I've ran a GLMM with a poisson family and got really nice
results that conform with theory, as well with results that I've
obtained previously with other analysis and that others have obtained in
similar studies. But the dispersion parameter is too large (25 compared
to 1). So I ran a quasipoisson that allows for overdispersion and all of
the significant results fell out. My question is, how much does
overdispersion invalidate ones results when using a poisson family? What
could the reason be for having non significant results with a
quasipoisson distribution?
If anybody could give me some help with this or/and recommend me
literature that is somewhat comprehensible to lay people (i.e. non
statisticians) that would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Cristina.