[R] compiling latest version of R

Jenny Barnes jmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 7 16:01:58 CET 2007

Dear R-help community,

I have had trouble in the past installing the latest version of R: we got the
errors shown below (the computer specifications and version of R are below
that). Does anybody have tips for compiling the latest version of R so that I
can avoid these errors?

configure
make

f90: CODE: 0 WORDS, DATA: 0 WORDS
gcc -G -L/usr/local/lib -o stats.so init.o kmeans.o  ansari.o bandwidths.o
chisq
sim.o d2x2xk.o fexact.o kendall.o ks.o  line.o smooth.o  prho.o swilk.o
ksmooth
.o loessc.o isoreg.o Srunmed.o Trunmed.o  dblcen.o distance.o
hclust-utils.o  nl
s.o  HoltWinters.o PPsum.o arima.o burg.o filter.o  mAR.o pacf.o starma.o
port.o
 family.o sbart.o bsplvd.o bvalue.o bvalus.o loessf.o ppr.o qsbart.o
sgram.o si
nerp.o sslvrg.o stxwx.o  hclust.o kmns.o  eureka.o stl.o portsrc.o
-L../../../..
/lib -lRblas  -lg2c -lm -lgcc_s
mkdir ../../../../library/stats/libs
building package 'datasets'
mkdir ../../../library/datasets
mkdir ../../../library/datasets/R
mkdir ../../../library/datasets/data
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
'/tmp/R-2.4.0/library/stats/libs/stats.so'
:
  ld.so.1: R: fatal: relocation error: file
/tmp/R-2.4.0/library/stats/libs/stat
s.so: symbol __i_abs: referenced symbol not found
Execution halted
*** Error code 1

These are my specifications:

platform       sparc-sun-solaris2.10
arch           sparc
os             solaris2.10
system         sparc, solaris2.10
status
major          2
minor          3.1
year           2006
month          06
day            01
svn rev        38247
language       R
version.string Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)

Many thanks for your time in reading this problem, I look forward to hearing
your suggestions and advice,

Jenny

Jennifer Barnes
PhD student: long range drought prediction
Climate Extremes Group
Department of Space and Climate Physics
University College London
Holmbury St Mary