[R] anova applied to a lme object

Berta ibanez at bioef.org
Wed Mar 7 18:24:53 CET 2007

Thanks José Rafael, I will try with library(ape) (at the moment I cannot
load it).

VarCorr gives  the variance estimates for the random effect and the error
terms. However, what I am looking for is a measure of the explained
proportion of variance, such as it is R2 in regression models, and more
precisely, I am looking for a measure of the explained proprotion of
variance of each of the variables considered (continuous variables and other
with random slope). For example, Snijders and Bosker (2003) pg 102 dedicate
a chapter in their book to  "how much does the multilevel model explain"
(chapter 7) and derive formulaes for R_1 and R_2  (variance in the first and
second level respectively). Things seem to get complicated when a slope
random effect is included in the model, as in my case.  It seems that
package HLM provides the necessary estimates.

I will have a look at library(ape), thanks for the suggestion.

The book I mention is: Snijders, TAB and Bosker RJ (2003). Multilevel
Analysis. An introduction to basic and advanced multilevel modeling. SAGE,
London.

Berta