[R] Some problems with X11

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Thu Mar 8 10:18:39 CET 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:21:52PM -0700, Rafael Rosolem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am really new with R, so I don't know anything about it. I have
> written a script (attached) which tries to do really basic stuff (such
> as computing basic statistics and basic plots). When I try to plot a
> histogram and pairs, for example, I get the following message:
>
> > source("project.R")

> Analysis of geostatistical data
> For an Introduction to geoR go to http://www.est.ufpr.br/geoR
> geoR version 1.6-13 (built on 2006/12/26) is now loaded
>
> Error in title(main = main, sub = sub, xlab = xlab, ylab = ylab, ...) :
>         X11 font at size 8 could not be loaded
> >

> I have seen some threads about this problem, though none of them really
> states what should be done in order to solve that problem (At least it
> was not clear for me!).
well, some X11 font is not installed/not found.

in `R', getOpton("X11fonts") tells you which font family `X11()' is using by
default (but you can alter this in the `X11' call if need be) and the size 8
subtype seems to be missing.

you may compare the above with the output from `xlsfonts' in the unix shell,
or use `xfontsel' to browse interactively through the installed fonts
to verify whether `R's complaining is justified.

probable solution: use some existing sufficiently complete (different sizes)
font-family  in the `X11()' call or copy over the default fonts from the labtop
where it works.

hth,
joerg