[R] Error distribution question

lists at eva.mpg.de lists at eva.mpg.de
Thu Mar 8 10:19:34 CET 2007

Hello there,
I was wondering if somebody could offer me some advice on which error
distribution would be appropriate for the type of data I have. I'm
studying what continuous predictor variables such as grooming received,
rank, etc. affect the amount of grooming given. This response variable
is continuous with many zeros, and so positively skewed. So I can't use
gamma because of the zeros and since poisson is for count data I would
probably loose lots of info when converting my data to integers. I was
looking in the help archive of R and I realized that somebody had a
similar problem in the past and was adviced'  to use the Tweedie
distribution since it was developed specifically for dealing with
positive continuous data with exact zeros. I think this would be
appropriate for my problem as well, but I'm not sure. I realized in the
Tweedie help page that one can use a specific response distribution
(Normal, Poisson, Compound Poisson, etc) by setting the variance power =
to a specific number. I'm a beginner, so I really don't follow then,
which response distribution to use (i.e. what variance power) that would
be appropriate for continuous response data with many zeros.
I hope somebody can help me with this.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Cristina.