[R] R GUI in Ubuntu?

Andy Weller weller at erdw.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 9 17:55:43 CET 2007

I should also add that:
library(JGR)

gives me the following output:
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
         unable to load shared library
'/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rJava/libs/rJava.so':
   /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rJava/libs/rJava.so: undefined symbol:
JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'rJava'
Error: package 'rJava' could not be loaded

I have Sun's Java installed and thought rJava installed without problems...

Thanks, Andy

Andy Weller wrote:
> OK, so I did:
> sudo R CMD javareconf
>
> followed by the following in R as root:
> install.packages("JGR",dep = TRUE)
>
> which I think went OK because if I do:
> library()
>
> then JGR is listed. From the terminal:
> "Packages in library '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library':
>
> JavaGD                  Java Graphics Device
> JGR                     JGR - Java Gui for R
> rJava                   Low-level R to Java interface"
>
> BUT, if I then run:
> JGR()
>
> then I get:
> Error: could not find function "JGR"
>
> I am confused...?!?
>
> Thanks in advance, Andy
>
> Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 07:05:15PM +0100, Andy Weller wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I am very new to R and find the terminal-based UI a little daunting.
>>> (That's probably the wrong thing to say!) Having searched the
>>> Packages it seems that I can have either a Gnome-based or Java-based
>>> GUI for my Ubuntu machine. However, I can get neither to work.
>>>
>>> Having run R as root, I then run the following command:
>>> install.packages("gnomeGUI", dependencies=TRUE)
>>>
>>> The output of which is:
>>> checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
>>> configure: error: conditional "HAVE_ORBIT" was never defined.
>>> Usually this means the macro was only invoked conditionally.
>>> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'gnomeGUI'
>>> * Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/gnomeGUI'
>>>
>>> I have checked to see if I have all dependencies installed - it seems
>>> as though I have. No luck! So I try the Java-based GUI with:
>>> install.packages("JGR",dep=TRUE)
>>> library(JGR)