[R] Dyn.load and Unload problems

Saptarshi Guha sapsi at pobox.com
Sun Mar 11 01:18:36 CET 2007

Hi,
	I am trying to modify the devX11.c source in the directory R-2.4.1/
src/modules/X11.
	Under OS X 10.4.9 running the R gui (R version 2.4.1) on a
Powerbook, i type this and get the subsequent error.

	> dyn.unload("/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/modules/ppc/
R_X11.so")
	Error in dyn.unload(x) : dynamic/shared library '/Library/Frameworks/
R.framework/Resources/modules/ppc/R_X11.so' was not loaded

	Yet, when i type the same line in terminal R, it works.

	Q1: How do find out what dlls have been loaded?

	Q2. In terminal R (with X11.app not running) , i unloaded R_X11.so
(as above), which worked. I then loaded my own R_X11_b.so (displaying
warning messages).
	I then unloaded this one and following occurred
	a) I ran X11() - it still ran, displaying my warnings - but it
shouldn't have run since i unloaded all the R_X11.so (mine and R's)
	b)upon modifying the warning messages (again) and reloading, the
warning messages don't reflect those of the new compiled devX11.c
	e.g in R_init_R_X11, which runs upon the "so" file being loaded, did
not display the  modified warning messages - it showed the old ones
(in (a))

	I would appreciate any help on this matter
	Rgds
	Saptarshi

	This R.version (identical for both the GUI and commandline versions)
	platform       powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0
	arch           powerpc
	os             darwin8.8.0
	system         powerpc, darwin8.8.0
	status
	major          2
	minor          4.1
	year           2006
	month          12
	day            18
	svn rev        40228
	language       R
	version.string R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)