[R] Freeman-Tukey arcsine transformation

roger koenker roger at ysidro.econ.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 13 20:06:48 CET 2007

As a further footnote on this, I can't resist mentioning a letter
that appears
in Technometrics (1977) by Steve  Portnoy who notes that

	2 arcsin(sqrt(p)) = arcsin(2p - 1) + pi/2

and asks: "it would be of historical interest to know if any early
statisticians
were aware of this, and if so, why the former version was
preferred."  The
latter version seems more convenient since it obviously obviates the
need
for special tables that appear in many places.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger                Roger Koenker
email   rkoenker at uiuc.edu                       Department of Economics
vox:    217-333-4558                            University of Illinois
fax:    217-244-6678                            Champaign, IL 61820