[R] Connecting R-help and Google Groups?

Gabor Csardi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Thu Mar 15 10:59:23 CET 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 06:30:53PM -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> I agree with Bert on this one! Any commercial entity's future policies will not be decided by some group's past understanding. Everything can be explained in terms of shareholder value.

Personally, i would go even further. I think it is very dangeorous to
allow google and other search engines to search the R web pages and
mailing lists, who knows what they'll do with this information some day,
or maybe they're already doing it right now!
All search engines should be banned from these sites IMHO.

Personally i wouldn't even allow to download these pages with
Internet Explorer, Safari, Netscape, Firefox or any commercial
web browser.

Also, the R team shouldn't support R on any commercial platforms like
MS Windows, OSX, Redhat & Debian Linux, etc. There is a considerable
chance that the policies of these companies will affect the R community
negatively.

> I don't see any advantages with tying up to Google groups. We get enough posts every day here to keep us all busy with even a fraction of them. I also think people should be encouraged to follow the policies such as read the basics "An Intro" etc, before running off and posting. Besides, and most importantly, I prefer having statisticians or those interested in statistics applied to their problems discuss their issues and software, and I learn a lot in this mailing list even in lurk mode. I could do without random posters.

I completely agree. The R user community is big enough right now, and
it is clear that we want no more newbie's with annoying questions.
Nor want we more statistics professors, it is our right and duty to
answer all the questions about R!

> Btw, anyone using R should be encouraged to use RSiteSearch to search this mailing list on some topic.

Yes. I don't even understand why it is possible to search the mailing list
via a web form. It would be a great user filter to stop this service!
Only advanced users who are able to install R and find RSiteSearch
should be allowed to see the posts. As for posting i recommend to set up
a test with questions about statistics, programming and other relevant
topics and only users passing the test would be allowed to submit posts
to the lists. It would be also wise to make them repeat the test
every year, just in case they forget something.

Best,
Gabor

Csardi Gabor <csardi at rmki.kfki.hu>    MTA RMKI, ELTE TTK