[R] How can I place axis annotations away from axis?

Achiko yusuke.fukuda at nt.gov.au
Fri Mar 16 03:38:18 CET 2007

Hello Experts

I have the following codes and data for 2 interpolation plots.

http://www.nabble.com/file/7206/3d_plot_data.txt 3d_plot_data.txt

data<-read.table("3d_plot_data.txt", header=T)
attach(data)

par(mfrow=c(1,2))

library(akima)

interpolation<-interp(rr,veg_r,predict)

persp(interpolation,theta = -45, phi = 30, ticktype = "detailed", nticks=4,
cex=0.8, expand=0.5, xlab="\n\n\nPrecipitation", yla="\n\n\nVegetation",
zlab="\n\n\nDensity", shade=0.4)

interpolation<-interp(tc,veg_r,predict, duplicate="mean")

persp(interpolation,theta = -45, phi = 30, ticktype = "detailed", nticks=4,
cex=0.8, expand=0.5, xlab="\n\n\nTemperature", yla="\n\n\nVegetation",
zlab="\n\n\nDensity", shade=0.4)

Now as you can see, and when exported as eps, axis annotation by tickmarks
are overlapping with Z axis. As it's for publication, font should be this
big. I could put the axis labels away from the axes, but connot find how to
place axis annotations further from the axes, or if it's ever possible to
adjust the distance between axis and axis annotation.

Your help is much appreciated!