[R] Implementing trees in R

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 17:09:24 CET 2007

1. Here is your example redone using proto:

library(proto)

parent <- proto()
child <- proto(a = 1)
parent$child1 <- child
child$parent.env <- parent

# also just for illustration lets change a

parent$child1$a # 1
child$a <- 2
parent$child1$a # 2

2. To redefine $<- use S3 or S4 but it can be done
in conjunction with proto like this:

# constructor
node <- function(. = parent.frame(), ...)
   structure(proto(...), class = c("node", "proto"))

"$<-.node" <- function(this, s, value) {
    if (s == ".super")
        parent.env(this) <- value
    if (is.function(value))
        environment(value) <- this
    if (inherits(value, "node"))
        parent.env(value) <- this
    this[[as.character(substitute(s))]] <- value
    this
}

p <- node(a = 1)
p$child <- node(b = 2)