[R] Setting site-wide default CRAN repository?

Tim Keitt tkeitt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:19:57 CET 2007

On 3/19/07, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Tim Keitt wrote:
>
> > I can't seem to find this anywhere. How do I set the default CRAN
> > repository _site wide_ on a linux box? What I want to do is eliminate
> > the pop-up list of repository locations when using
> > 'install.packages()'. I know how to do this for a single account.
> > Modifying files in /etc/R does not seem to work. (cc me please - I
> > think I'm not subscribed).
>
> Modifying files in R_HOME/etc works, but I have no idea why you think
> /etc/R is relevant.

The Ubuntu packages symlink to files in /etc/R

> The simplest way is to replace @CRAN@ in R_HOME/etc/repositories.  (See
> ?setRepositories.)

First thing I tried. This has no effect on my machines.

> Almost as simple is to set e.g.
>
>         options(repos=c(CRAN="http://cran.us.r-project.org"))
>
> in R_HOME/etc/Rprofile.site (see ?Startup).

That's what I was looking for. Several people beat you to it (off list).

Cheers,
THK

> --

Timothy H. Keitt, University of Texas at Austin
Contact info and schedule at http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/
Reprints at http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/papers/
ODF attachment? See http://www.openoffice.org/