[R] getting ess/emacs to link with a remote instance of R

Mark W Kimpel mkimpel at iupui.edu
Tue Mar 20 19:58:53 CET 2007

I am running ess/emacs on Linux and have an R instance running on a
remote Unix server. I would like to be able to direct input from my ess
buffer to R (hope I am using the right lingo, I am new to emacs).

The ess manual contains a section describing how to do just that, but a
prerequisite is to install a lisp file ssh.el , which can be found at
ftp://ftp.splode.com/pub/users/friedman/emacs-lisp/ssh .

I have downloaded the file but can nowhere find exactly what directory I
should put the file into and, what, if any, entry I might need to make
in my .emacs file.

One reference says to put the file in the "lisp emacs" directory, but
there are actually several directories that have names similar to this.
I tried them all without success. Whenever I try M-x ssh, I get [no match].

Can an experienced ess/emacs Unix user give me a hand?

As a client, I am running openSuse 10.2 Linux and the latest versions of
both ess and emacs, which both installed without problems.

Thanks,
Mark
--

Mark W. Kimpel MD
Neuroinformatics

Official Business Address:

Department of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine
PR M116
Institute of Psychiatric Research
791 Union Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46202

Preferred Mailing Address:

15032 Hunter Court
Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail

(317) 663-0513 Home (no voice mail please)

1-(317)-536-2730 FAX