[R] error installing packages

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 20 22:39:48 CET 2007

On 3/7/07, Bricklemyer, Ross S <rsb at wsu.edu> wrote:

> I was finally able to get R to 'configure', 'make', and 'install' on Mandriva 2007.  Itried to install gnomeGUI and I received an error.  See below.  At what step do I make R a shared library?  Where did I go wrong?

At the configure stage.  You must add --enable-R-shlib to the call to
configure so that R is also built as a shared library.  Try running
configure with the --help flag first to see all the possible options.

Reconfiguring and recompiling will probably not, by itself, allow you
to build the gnomeGUI.  You may need to install some of the GNOME
development packages from RPM's before this package can compile
successfully.   You may want to consider if learning emacs and ESS is
a better use of your time.