[R] package:AlgDesign and .Random.seed

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Mar 21 15:51:52 CET 2007

So let me read the help page of ?RNG for all of us:

"Initially, there is no seed; a new one is created from the current time
when one is required. Hence, different sessions will give different
simulation results, by default."

Hence this is definitely a bug in AlgDesign.

Further on also remarkable for Bob Wheeler's decision to save .Random.seed:

".Random.seed saves the seed set for the uniform random-number
generator, at least for the system generators. It does not necessarily
save the state of other generators, and in particular does not save the
state of the Box–Muller normal generator. If you want to reproduce work
later, call set.seed rather than set .Random.seed."

Uwe Ligges