[R] how to get "lsmeans"?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 22 20:42:44 CET 2007

On 3/22/07, Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) <muenchen at utk.edu> wrote:

> Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but to increase the use of R in places
> where SAS & SPSS dominate, it's important to make getting the same
> answers as easy as possible. That includes things like lsmeans and type
> III sums of squares. I've read lots of discussions here on sums of
> squares & I'm not advocating type III use, just looking at it from a
> marketing perspective. Too many people look for excuses to not change.
> The fewer excuses, the better.

You may get strong reactions to such a suggestion.  I recommend
reading Bill Venables' famous unpublished paper "Exegeses on linear
models" (google for the title - very few people use "Exegeses" and
"linear models" in the same sentence - in fact I would not be
surprised if Bill was the only one who has ever done so).

You must realize that R is written by experts in statistics and
statistical computing who, despite popular opinion, do not believe
that everything in SAS and SPSS is worth copying.  Some things done in
such packages, which trace their roots back to the days of punched
cards and magnetic tape when fitting a single linear model may take
several days because your first 5 attempts failed due to syntax errors
in the JCL or the SAS code, still reflect the approach of "give me
every possible statistic that could be calculated from this model,
whether or not it makes sense".  The approach taken in R is different.
 The underlying assumption is that the useR is thinking about the
analysis while doing it.

The fact that it is so difficult to explain what lsmeans are and why
they would be of interest is an indication of why they aren't
implemented in any of the required packages.