[R] generating lognormal variables with given correlation

Karl Ove Hufthammer Karl.Hufthammer at math.uib.no
Fri Mar 23 15:27:30 CET 2007

Mollet, Fabian:

> I would like these (lognormal distributed) parameters to be correlated,
> that is, I would like to have pairwise samples of 2 parameters with a
> given correlation coefficient.
>
> I have seen that a covariance matrix can be fixed when generating random
> variables from a multivariate normal distribution e.g. by the function
> mvrnorm.
>
> Is there a function to do the same for a multivariate lognormal
> distribution?

I don't know about any, but you should be aware that not all values of the
correlation is possible with lognormal distributions. For example, if both
variables have a standard lognormal distribution, they can't have correlation
less than 1/e = -0.37. As the variance of the two distributions increase, the
absolute value of the maximum and minimum correlation possible decrease (to
zero).

Using the normal product-moment correlation as a measure of dependence rarely
makes much sense unless the association between the variables is linear.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer