[R] plotting symbol

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Fri Mar 23 18:34:53 CET 2007

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Chuck Cleland wrote:
>> Federico Calboli wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> can I have a plot where the symbol for the dots is smaller than pch
>>> =20 but bigger than pch = '.'?
>>>

>>   Have you considered using the cex argument to reduce the size of
>> pch=20?
>>
>> X <- rnorm(20)
>>
>> par(mfrow=c(2,2))
>> plot(X, pch=20, cex=1.0)
>> plot(X, pch=20, cex=0.6)
>> plot(X, pch=20, cex=1.5)
>> plot(X, pch=".")
>>

> Notice though, that it depends on the device. On X11 (presumably Windows
> too) at "normal" resolutions, you really have only one sice which is
> less than the default. Try e.g.
>
> plot(1:10, rep(0,10), pch=20,cex=seq(1,.1,,10))

Peter:
  Thanks for making that point, which certainly did not occur to me.  I
see the same thing with the windows device with pointsize at the default
of 12 (win.graph too).  With pointsize=15 I can get two sizes smaller
than the default.  And on the pdf device I get many sizes less than the
default.