[R] Installing R on a machine with 64-bit Opteron processors

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Sun Mar 25 20:56:24 CEST 2007

Hi Stan,

I haven't used SuSE for four years now, but the errors all point to libraries and programs that need to be installed. I used in on a 32-bit machine then.

As I recall, SuSE used to have a fabulous installation tool called yast2 (in my opinion, the best of the lot in packaging), though FC seems to have done something similar with pirut. In any case, isn't this option available with SuSE for 64-bit machines? That would be really strange. Anyway, I distinctly recall that R was in the SuSE package in those days, so perhaps it should still be there (I think the package used to be called r-stat, but my memory is a little unclear on this.)

If so, you are better off installing that because the dependencies are installed automatically. The other option is to use yum or synaptic, but you will need to set the repositories up.

I am curious: why choose SuSE? It used to be the rage some time ago, especially because it was one of the first with a GUI installation interface, and the above mentioned YaST tool, but fewer people use seem to use it nowadays.

HTH.

Best,
Ranjan