[R] gam parameter predictions

Luis Ridao Cruz Luisr at frs.fo
Mon Mar 26 15:53:18 CEST 2007

R-help,

I'm applying a gam model (package mgcv) to predict
relative abundances of a fish species.

The covariates are year, month, vessel and statistical rectangle.

The model looks like this:

g1 <- gam(log(cpue) ~  s(rekt1) + s(year) + s(mon) + s(reg1), data =
dataTest)

Once the model is fitted to the data I want to get the mean model
estimates by year.

I do the following:

obsPred <- data.frame(year = dataTest$year, pred = predict(g1, type =
"response"))

gamFit <- tapply(obsPred$pred, list(year = obsPred$ar), mean)

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

> version
               _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          4.1
year           2006
month          12
day            18
svn rev        40228
language       R
version.string R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)