[R] problems with installation of packages

Vikas Rawal vikasrawal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 08:21:46 CEST 2007

I am having a peculiar problem with installation of packages. I am
trying to install the package "maptools". This is what I get.

install.packages("maptools",depend=T)
Warning in install.packages("maptools", depend = T) :
         argument 'lib' is missing: using /usr/local/lib/R/site-library
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://cran.wustl.edu/src/contribdependency ''maptools'' is not
available

This is a machine running debian sarge. The http_proxy is correctly
set. I am able to download the package by using wget. I also tried
starting R with (R http_proxy-http://my-proxy/). That does not help
either.

I have R 2.4.1 on my debian system.

Will be grateful  for any help.