[R] snow parLapply standard output

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Tue Mar 27 16:18:21 CEST 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Frank Preiswerk wrote:

> I am slightly confused by the way the standard output is redirected in a R
> snow cluster environment.
> I am using parLapply from the snow package to execute a function on my
> MPI/LAM cluster. How can I redirect standard output (produced using "cat")
> from this function back to the terminal where I invoked it? I intend to
> transmit some status information in advance to the final result of the
> function. I investigated the chain of functions called by parLapply and it
> seems that snow is designed to just retrieve the final result of the
> computation.

The R level only deals with final values.  There is currently no means
within snow to communicate status information back to the master.

By default output is redirected to /dev/null.  You can provide an
alternate destination with the outfile option and monitor those files
from another process.

Best,

luke