[R] Wikibooks

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 21:17:57 CEST 2007

On 3/30/07, Dieter Menne <dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de> wrote:
> Ben Bolker <bolker <at> zoo.ufl.edu> writes:
>
> >   Well, we do have an R wiki -- http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php --
> > although it is not as active as I'd like.  (We got stuck halfway through
> > porting Paul Johnson's "R Tips" to it ...)   Please contribute!
>
> I once tried:
>
> http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=guides:lmer-tests

I was just looking at this page, and it makes me curious: what gives
anyone the right to take someone else's mailing list post and include
that in a Wiki? I'm not saying that anyone involved would object, but
there is the technicality of licensing: the wiki page claims to be
under a certain creative commons license; was permission obtained from
all the contributors? Does posting to r-help automatically constitute
such permission?  More importantly, since the wiki contents can be
edited, where is the guarantee that some text attributed to someone is
really what someone said?

One solution would be to link to the posts rather than repeating them,
perhaps with a one line summary of what information is contained in
the post. This could then form the basis of more comments and links
over time. In any case, the wiki needs to provide some guidance on
this.

-Deepayan