[R] Trouble installing package 'sp' in R 2.4.1

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Mar 30 21:37:55 CEST 2007

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 3/30/2007 2:39 PM, Gaurav Ghosh wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just installed R 2.4.1 and tried to install the package 'sp' working down from the 'Packages' menu in the R GUI.  The package would not install and I got the following message:
> >
> > "trying URL 'http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.4/sp_0.9-10.zip'
> > Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
> >         cannot open URL 'http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.4/sp_0.9-10.zip'
> > In addition: Warning message:
> > cannot open: HTTP status was '404 Not Found'
> > Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd, available = available,  :
> >          download of package 'sp' failed"
> >
> > I tried to find the installation file "sp_0.9-10.zip" through the CRAN website, but was unable to do so.  So I was wondering if there was some other way to get this package I need.  Or perhaps  there might be some problem with the website itself.
>

> You didn't say which mirror you were using, but it looks like a problem
> there.  I just tried from one of the Canadian mirrors and there was no
> problem finding the package.

>From HTTP, the mirror mentioned inline http://cran.us.r-project.org/ has
problems, is well behind on versions in the project pages, and

http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.4/

has no sp package at all. The last check summary is dated 2007-03-16.

Please try another mirror; if anyone could find out what is the matter
with the mirror, and get it corrected, that would be welcome.