[R] thousand separator (was RE: weight)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue May 1 11:28:40 CEST 2007

Liaw, Andy wrote:
> Looks very neat, Gabor!
>
> I just cannot fathom why anyone who want to write numerics with those
> separators in a flat file.   That's usually not for human consumption,
> and computers don't need those separators!
>
> Andy

The world is stranger than you think...

(One of my favourite gripes is the used of localized decimal separators
in .csv files, which used to be a perfectly well-defined data format,
but is now nonportable across locales. Or even between programs on the
same machine: AFAIR, SAS reads and writes the US format in all locales,
and SPSS uses the local format...)