[R] upgrade to 2.5

Robert A LaBudde ral at lcfltd.com
Wed May 2 23:39:17 CEST 2007

At 01:41 PM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
>On 5/2/07, Sundar Dorai-Raj <sundar.dorai-raj at pdf.com> wrote:
> >

> > Iasonas Lamprianou said the following on 5/2/2007 8:25 AM:
> > > Hi I am using R version 2.4.1. How can I upgrade to version 2.5
> without having to install all the packages again?
> > > Thanks
> > > Jason
> > >

> > You may find the following link relevant.
> >
> > http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/75359.html
> >

>if you use Windows XP.

This link was useful to me, as I am new to R. (Win2000, R-2.5.0)

What I have been doing is using a file compare utility (Beyond
Compare in my case) to move files in the old "library" directory to
the new one, if the files are missing in the new one. Then I perform
an update.packages command.

This procedure appears to work without problem.

It would seem much preferable to have all packages saved in an
installation-independent directory, instead of a "library" directory
under R's installation directory. Then, of course, no update would be
necessary.

I can't find how this option is settable in R, other than a direct
argument to library() or install.package().

How does one shift the R default libraries location to a particular directory?

Thanks.

Robert A. LaBudde, PhD, PAS, Dpl. ACAFS  e-mail: ral at lcfltd.com
Least Cost Formulations, Ltd.            URL: http://lcfltd.com/
824 Timberlake Drive                     Tel: 757-467-0954
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-3239            Fax: 757-467-2947

"Vere scire est per causas scire"