[R] R question

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Fri May 4 20:30:11 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 12:05 -0500, Bill Vorias wrote:
> I had a question about Random Forests.  I have a text file with 10
> dichotomous variables and a bivariate response vector.  I read this file
> into R as a data frame, and then used the command "randomForest(Response ~.,
> dataset, etc.." where "Response" is the column header of the response
> variable and "dataset" is the name of the data frame.  I get an error that
> says "Response" not found.  I was looking at the Iris data example in the R
> help files, and it seems like this is exactly what they did.  Do you have
> any suggestions? Thanks.

R you sure that you have correctly specified the column and data frame
names in the call to randomForest()?

Be sure to check for typos, including capitalization.

You can use:

  ls()

to check for the current objects in your working environment and you can
then use:

  str(YourDataFrame)

or

  names(YourDataFrame)

to display information about the detailed structure and/or column names,
respectively, in the data frame that you created from the imported data.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz