[R] Bad optimization solution

RAVI VARADHAN rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue May 8 16:23:08 CEST 2007

Paul,

The problem lies neither with R nor with numercial methods.  The onus is always on the user to understand what the numerical schemes can do and what they can't do.  One should never blindly take the results given by a numerical scheme and run with it.  In your example, the optimization method is doing what it was designed to do: to find a critical point of a function where the gradient is zero.  It is your responsibility to ensure that the result makes sense, and if it doesn't, to understand why it doesn't make sense.  In your problem, maxima ((1,0) and (0,1)) lie on the boundary of the parameter space, and the gradient at the maxima (defined as the limit from within the domain) are clearly not zero.  Another problem with your example is that the hessian for your function is singular, it has eigenvalues of 0 and 2.  In short, there is no substitute to using your analytic powers!

Ravi.