[R] Looking for a comprehensive descriptive statistics package

Roland Rau roland.rproject at gmail.com
Tue May 8 20:31:22 CEST 2007

Hi,

summary(yourdata) is often a very good starting point for descriptive
data statistics. Or you can write your own little function which returns
what you actually like to see (the code below was written very quickly.
No care is taken for the presence of missing values or anything else).

exampledata <- rnorm(10000)
summary(exampledata)
desc <- function(mydata) {
   require(e1071)
   quantls <- quantile(x=mydata, probs=seq(from=0, to=1, by=0.25))
   themean <- mean(mydata)
   thesd <- sd(mydata)
   kurt <- kurtosis(mydata)
   skew <- skewness(mydata)
   retlist <- list(Quantiles=quantls, Mean=themean, StandDev=thesd,
                   Skewness=skew, Kurtosis=kurt)
   return(retlist)
}

descstats <- desc(exampledata)