[R] Optim

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri May 11 00:23:59 CEST 2007

Let us first assume that you have enumerated all the local maxima, which is
by no means a trivial thing to assure.  How different are the likelihood
values?  If they are significantly different, then take the parameter
estimates corresponding to the largest likelihood.  If they are not
"significantly" different but the corresponding parameter estimates differ
widely, then you may have identifiability issues.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu