[R] how to get column/row info from a dist object?

Francisco J. Zagmutt gerifalte28 at hotmail.com
Fri May 11 23:42:27 CEST 2007

But the dist object is not structured with rows and columns.  i.e.

x=1:4

d=dist(x)
   1 2 3
2 1
3 2 1
4 3 2 1

str(d)
Class 'dist'  atomic [1:6] 1 2 3 1 2 1
   ..- attr(*, "Size")= int 4
   ..- attr(*, "Diag")= logi FALSE
   ..- attr(*, "Upper")= logi FALSE
   ..- attr(*, "method")= chr "euclidean"
   ..- attr(*, "call")= language dist(x = x)

So, AFAIK if you want to get references for rows and columns you need to
make it an object that indeed has rows and columns, i.e. a matrix.  See
?which to obtain the reference you want in a matrix.

Regards,

Francisco