[R] Nicely formatted summary table with mean, standard deviation or number and proportion

Keith Wong keithw at med.usyd.edu.au
Mon May 14 06:25:41 CEST 2007

Prof Harrell

Thanks for the hint!

I am using Hmisc 3.3-2, on R version 2.5.0 with windows XP.

I saw the argument "prmsd = T" in the help for summary.formula(), and
couldn't understand how to make it work, but just now realised that it
should be applied to the latex() function, and not to summary.formula() itself:

options(digits = 2)
(x = summary(treatment ~ age + sex, method = "reverse") )
latex(x, prmsd = T)

That's what I needed, thank you.

Keith

At 12:11 PM 14/05/2007, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
>Keith Wong wrote:
>>Dear all,
>>The incredibly useful Hmisc package provides a method to generate summary
>>tables that can be typeset in latex. The Alzola and Harrell book   "An
>>introduction to S and the Hmisc and Design libraries" provides an example
>>that generates mean and quartiles for continuous variables, and numbers
>>and percentages for count variables: summary() with method = 'reverse'.
>>I wonder if there is a way to change it so the mean and standard
>>deviation are reported instead for continuous variables.
>>I illustrate my question below using an example from the book.
>>Thank you.
>>Keith
>
>Newer versions of Hmisc have an option to add mean and SD for
>method='reverse'.  Quartiles are always there.
>
>Frank
>

>>  > ####
>>  > library(Hmisc)
>>  >
>>  > set.seed(173)
>>  > sex = factor(sample(c("m", "f"), 500, rep = T))
>>  > age = rnorm(500, 50, 5)
>>  > treatment = factor(sample(c("Drug", "Placebo"), 500, rep = T))
>>  > summary(sex ~ treatment, fun = table)
>>sex    N=500
>>+---------+-------+---+---+---+
>>|         |       |N  |f  |m  |
>>+---------+-------+---+---+---+
>>|treatment|Drug   |263|140|123|
>>|         |Placebo|237|133|104|
>>+---------+-------+---+---+---+
>>|Overall  |       |500|273|227|
>>+---------+-------+---+---+---+
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > (x = summary(treatment ~ age + sex, method = "reverse"))
>>  > # generates quartiles for continuous variables
>>
>>Descriptive Statistics by treatment
>>+-------+--------------+--------------+
>>|       |Drug          |Placebo       |
>>|       |(N=263)       |(N=237)       |
>>+-------+--------------+--------------+
>>|age    |46.5/49.9/53.2|46.7/50.0/53.4|
>>+-------+--------------+--------------+
>>|sex : m|   47% (123)  |   44% (104)  |
>>+-------+--------------+--------------+
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > # latex(x) generates a very nicely formatted table
>>  > # but I'd like "mean (standard deviation)" instead of quartiles.
>>
>>  > # this function from
>> http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/06/11/4713.html
>>  > g <- function(y) {
>>+   s <- apply(y, 2,
>>+              function(z) {
>>+                z <- z[!is.na(z)]
>>+                n <- length(z)
>>+                if(n==0) c(NA,NA,NA,0) else
>>+                if(n==1) c(z, NA,NA,1) else {
>>+                  m <- mean(z)
>>+                  s <- sd(z)
>>+                  c(N=n, Mean=m, SD=s)
>>+                }
>>+              })
>>+   w <- as.vector(s)
> [...]

Keith Wong
Clinical Epidemiology Fellow
Sleep & Circadian Research Group, NHMRC CCRE in Respiratory and Sleep
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research

| leaders in breathing and sleep research |

PO Box M77
Missenden Road NSW 2050, Australia

T   61 2 9515 8981
F   61 2 9515 7070
E   keithw at woolcock.org.au
W  www.woolcock.org.au

This  email  and  any  files transmitted with it are intended for the named
recipient  only.
The  information  contained  in  this  message  may  be
confidential,  legally privileged
or commercially sensitive. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not reproduce
or distribute any part of the email,  disclose  its  contents  to  any
other party, or take any
action in reliance  on  it. If you have received this email in error,
please contact the
sender  immediately  by return email and delete this message from your
computer.