[R] Error in X11(display, width, height, pointsize, if (is.null(gamma)) 1 else gamma, : invalid 'width' or 'height'

Gregory D. Laun greg.laun at yale.edu
Mon May 14 15:51:16 CEST 2007

Hey, I've been using R for several years and I just upgraded my system and all
of a sudden I'm getting the above message.  Here it is again

Error in X11(display, width, height, pointsize, if (is.null(gamma)) 1 else
gamma,  :
        invalid 'width' or 'height'

I get it on two computers, one on AMD64 and one on x86, both running Gentoo
unstable.  If I do ?x11 and type in the default usage thingy, it works
perfectly well.  I.E.:

     X11(display = "", width = 7, height = 7, pointsize = 12,
         gamma = getOption("gamma"), colortype = getOption("X11colortype"),
         maxcubesize = 256, bg = "transparent", canvas = "white",
         fonts = getOption("X11fonts"), xpos = NA, ypos = NA)

works.  Similarly, calling x11 with width and height of 7 works fine.  The
locale of my computer is UTF8 but that hasn't changed since the upgrade and
it was working well before. Does anyone know what might be going on?  Any
help is appreciated, thanks!  I've tried searching both the Gentoo and R
help.