[R] [OT] Is data copyrightable?

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon May 14 17:41:54 CEST 2007

This is an area where US law differs importantly from other countries. US
law protects compilations of facts only to the extent that the selection
of the facts is creative expression (and does not protect the facts
themselves).  Many other jurisdictions (eg European Union) also offer
protection based on the effort need to compile the facts regardless of any
creativity.  A 1997 US Supreme Court decision (in a case about telephone
directories) ruled that the 'sweat of the brow' rationale for copyright
was inconsistent with the intellectual property clause of the US
Constitution.  So, in the US, it depends on the data and their source.

Publishers that I have talked to tend to claim that data are definitely
copyrightable, but since they tend to own the copyrights one might do well
to recall the immortal words of Mandy Rice-Davies.

 	-thomas